October 19, 2015

Email No. 40

Family! 

Well. So I totally failed at writing things down that happened through the week (grimace emoji) so I will be going off of memory. 

Keri came to church! Again! She is so excited to be baptized. She keeps telling us. I told her that her baptism will be a few days before my birthday and she goes, "Perfect! This will be my present to you. Just kidding. This is a present to Jesus and myself." It was awesome to know that she is getting baptized because she wants to. Not for us missionaries! Now it's just about getting fellowshippers which won't be as hard. This branch is awesome about that. Even yesterday, Keri was going to sit with us, but then a sister in the branch ran over to Keri and said, "Why don't you sit with me?!" It was incredible. Super super amazing things are happening folks. 

Bernie is doing really really well. I sat next to him yesterday during sacrament meeting and he was asking all sorts of questions. He tells EVERYONE that he is going to be Mormon. He tells us all the time that when he tells people, they make some kind of anti remark and then he tells them that if they want to say those kinds of things, they have to read the Book of Mormon first, then pray about it, then talk to us. Then they can make judgements. Have you ever seen an 81 year-old, about-to-be-member do missionary work? I have. And it's the coolest, most powerful thing ever. 

I wanted to share something that I learned today in my studies. I was reading in Mosiah 4:19 and came across the verse that reads:

 "For behold, are we not all beggars? Do we not all depend upon the same Being, even God, for all the substance which we have, for both food and raiment, and for gold, and for silver, and for all the riches which we have of every kind?" 

Isn't that beautiful? "Are we not all beggars?" I love that question. It really makes me think. It reminds me who I am and helps me love others. Really, it reminds me of my Savior. And I love my Savior! And He loves everyone else, including me. And it's kind of like when someone you really care about has another person that means a lot to them, so you also care for that person. That wasn't explained very well. Let's say it this way: Let's say I have a friend named Jane. She is the nicest, most thoughtful, most giving person I have ever met. She has served me better than anyone else and I always tell her that I will do anything to repay her. She has sacrificed a lot in my behalf and I love her for it. Jane has a significant other, John. But John, a long time ago, did something to hurt my feelings and I have never forgiven him for it. But Jane, the person so I have told I would do anything to repay her, asks me to forgive John and to accept him. She tells me she knows that he has weaknesses, but everyone does. How would it make Jane feel if I just said, "No. I don't care how you feel about him. He's a loser and a jerk and I'll never forgive him no matter how much you love him." ? I think Jane would begin to question how much I really care about her. But let's look at the more positive side. Let's say I told Jane, "You want to know what? I will. There must be something that you, who I think incredibly high of, see, that I don't. I will forgive him. Who knows? I may end up thinking he is pretty legit." Does that make sense? Here's the principle in a small phrase: "As I have loved you (and him and her and they), love one another." 

Love, 
Sister Grace Sewell 

No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGN BY RYLEE BLAKE DESIGNS